Dip your toe into the volunteer experience!
If you have thought about volunteering, but aren’t sure whether it will fit into your lifestyle or are worried about whether you have enough to offer, read on!
Volunteering covers almost every possible activity you can think of from washing up to specialist technical work – but you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to. That’s the benefit of becoming a volunteer through an agency like Volunteer Essex.
- You get to look at a wide range of vacancies so you can pick the ones that appeal to you most
- You can decide how much time you want to commit, you won’t be forced to commit hours if you don’t want to
- You can always say ‘no’; charities understand that sometimes your work or family demands must come first
- You can choose how far you are prepared to travel
In other words, you’re in control.
A rewarding experience for all ages
If you’re looking for a new interest you’ll be surprised at how fascinating volunteering can be. Forget these myths:
- Volunteers are older people – we have volunteers as young as 16.
- Volunteering is unpaid labour – yes, it’s unpaid (although you can usually claim expenses) but it’s the way charities ensure that as much of the funds donated go to help their cause rather than get eaten up in running costs.
- It needs a lot of your time – you choose how many hours you contribute
- I’ll end up doing something boring – one person’s boring is another person’s favourite activity! You can say ‘no’ to opportunities and most charities try to match volunteers’ skills to activities where help is needed.
- It’s a one way street, I give, someone else benefits – you really need to talk to our volunteers! The rewards are many from simply feeling the emotional benefit to reducing depression and a whole range of other health benefits.