Volunteer Visitors are welcome on wards which are suitable for the activity. Volunteer Visitors offer patients, perhaps without family or visitors themselves, some company and support during their stay in hospital.
This role is available at St Peters, Maldon, as well as Braintree and Halstead Hospitals.
Basic duties are undertaken as follows:
• To talk to and offer patients company during visiting times.
• To provide a reading service to patients - books, magazines, newspapers, letters and cards etc.
• To provide a writing service to the patients such as - writing letters and cards to friends and family.
• To do puzzles/play games with the patients
• Run general errands for the patients, such as get a newspaper, pass glasses, assist with radio or TV etc.
• Be aware of any issues/complaints raised during the discussion with patients and bring these to the attention of the nursing staff/appropriate person - with the consent of the patient where appropriate.
• Alert the nursing staff to any patients you are concerned about.
- Willingness to undertake on-the-job training in the role as a Visitor
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of people
- Able to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Friendly personality
- Caring nature
- Self motivated
- Positive outlook
Desirable but not essential:
- Experience of working with the public/customers
- Experience of working in a care environment
- Experience of dealing with confidential information
- Basic IT skills
Volunteers with Provide can access and update their IT skills through a series of workshops:
Word - beginners, intermediate and advanced
Excel - beginners, intermediate and advanced
Dementia Level 2 training is also available.
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 11/01/2017
End Date: 11/01/2019
Flexible around ward visiting times.
This opportunity is available in: Braintree, Maldon
More Opportunities from Provide
RVS - Epping, St Margarets Hospital
SAVS - SEAT Project
Royal National Institute of the Blind (RNIB)