This opportunity is available in the following libraries:
Brightlingsea, Clacton, Hatfield Peverel, Sible Hedingham, South Woodham Ferrers, Tye Green and Vange
What is the role about?
You will be helping library customers who need some support to use either the computers in the library or their own devices connected through our free Wi-Fi service. This might be through regular sessions, or specific IT surgery events helping people get the most out of their own devices.
What will it involve?
• helping customers resolve difficulties in booking procedures, logging on or connecting their own devices
• giving information on how to use common computer programs (e.g. Word, web browser and e-mail)
• helping customers to understand and use their devices more confidently and effectively
• guiding customers in using the library catalogue and website
• helping customers to use online reference tools
• helping customers complete specific tasks e.g. completing an application form, printing online tickets
• referring wider customer queries to library staff as necessary
What will you get from volunteering?
• the pleasure of using your IT skills to help others
• experience and skills to enhance your CV
• opportunity to meet people and get involved in your local community
information technology skills, particularly using the internet
• good communication and people skills
• awareness of keeping safe online
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
If the role means you incur travel costs, such as using your car to visit home library customers, we'll pay your expenses.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
There will be ongoing support from local library staff who will ensure you are kept up-to-date with all that is happening in Essex Libraries. All volunteers are engaged for an introductory period (usually 1 to 3 months depending on the frequency of volunteering). This is to ensure the volunteer and activity are properly matched and either side may decide to end the agreement at this stage.
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
You will receive induction, a welcome pack and specific training for your volunteering role. This may be shadowing or an occasional training session or just talking through what's involved.
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 31/08/2016
End Date: 20/12/2020
How much time would you be asked to contribute? A regular morning or afternoon at least monthly, frequency to be discussed, or occasional special IT related events. The total monthly hours needed are: Brightlingsea - 8hrs Clacton - 8hrs Hatfield Peverel - Sible Hedingham - 8hrs South Woodham Ferrers - 4hrs Tye Green - 4hrs Vange - 2hrs
This opportunity is available in: Braintree, Chelmsford, Tendring
More Opportunities from Essex Libraries
Loughton & Buckhurst Hill District Guides
British Red Cross