This opportunity is available in the following libraries:
Basildon, Braintree, Brentwood, Brightlingsea, Chelmsford, Chigwell, Clacton, Colchester, Fryerns, Greenstead, Harlow, Harwich, Loughton, Manningtree, Mark Hall, North Melbourne, Old Harlow, Saffron Walden, South Woodham Ferrers, Stanstead, Wickford and Witham.
What is the role about?
These fun-packed rhyme and story sessions take place in libraries during school term-times. Everyone joins in with singing rhymes and doing the actions, and afterwards families stay to chat, join the library and to choose books to take home.
As a volunteer at baby and toddler rhyme times, you will deliver rhyme sessions, and support the development of children by sharing your enjoyment of books and rhymes.
What will it involve?
• Preparing the children's library for the session - putting out chairs and selecting stories and rhymes
• Meeting and greeting the parents/carers and children and making everyone feel welcome
• Encouraging parents to join in with their child
• Joining in or delivering the session and building a good rapport with the group
• Chatting with families about the benefits of early book sharing and the importance of talking and singing rhymes with their children
• Directing specific enquiries to library staff
• Clearing the area once the session ends
What will you get from volunteering?
• Pleasure from showing parents how singing rhymes and sharing books can be a fun activity that they can repeat at home
• Opportunity to help families learn rhymes and songs together to support children's speech, language and communication skills
• Meeting people and making new friends
• Satisfaction of using your skills and experience to support families in the community
[*A similar opportunity is available as 'Daddy Cool' in some libraries on a Saturday. Please ask on applying.]
• Warmth and friendliness
• Able to relate to children and their families
• Practical and 'hands on'
• Able to work on own initiative
• Comfortable singing in public (but no voice skills needed)
• Enthusiasm to promote sharing books and reading with families
• An enthusiasm for libraries and awareness of the range of services offered
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expect all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
- Ongoing support
There will be ongoing support from local library staff. All volunteers are engaged for an introductory period (usually 1 to 3 months depending on the frequency of volunteering). This is to ensure the volunteer and activity are properly matched and either side may decide to end the agreement at this stage.
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
Specific training for your volunteering role. This may be shadowing or an occasional training session or just talking throughwhat's involved.
- Volunteer induction
You will receive induction and a welcome pack.
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 31/08/2016
End Date: 20/12/2020
How much time would you be asked to contribute? To be agreed. Typically 2 hours per week, together or at separate times, depending on individual library. Term time only. The total number of volunteer hours needed are: Basildon - 10hrs Braintree - 2hrs Brentwood - 8hrs Brightlingsea - Chelmsford - 16hrs Chigwell - 4hrs Clacton - 18hrs Colchester - 16hrs Fryerns - 5hrs Greeenstead - 4hrs Harlow - 4hrs Harwich - 4hrs Loughton - 3hrs Manningtree - 1hr Mark Hall - 2hrs North Melbourne - 4hrs Old Harlow - 2hrs Saffron Walden - 4hrs South Woodham Ferrers - 1hr Stanstead - 4hrs Wickford - 2hrs Witham
This opportunity is available in: Basildon Billericay and Wickford, Braintree, Brentwood, Chelmsford, Colchester, Epping, Harlow, Tendring, Uttlesford
More Opportunities from Essex Libraries
The Lightship Cafe
Uttlesford Community Travel
Essex Youth Build
Citizens Advice Epping Forest District