Preserve our heritage by becoming involved in Saffron Walden's historical book collection
• You will be responsible for the day-to-day managing of the non-committee volunteers. This includes creating
and maintaining a 'volunteer bible' of tasks and procedures, managing and logging times and locations of
volunteers, inducting new recruits, supervising tasks as appropriate and maintaining morale.
• A designated committee member will support you in this role and be your link to the Society Committee.
• Longer term, you will play a key part in making the Library's historic collections more visible and accessible.
• There are opportunities for you to play a wider role within the Society - for example manning a Reading Room
Welcome desk, participating in the Society's annual programme of lectures etc. and helping to create new
• As a volunteer you will be required to be a member of the Society (currently Â£7 pa) for insurance purposes.
You will need to be:
Self-motivating and capable of working independently.
Responsible, reliable and honest.
Experienced in leading, managing and motivating a team.
Enthusiastic about the Library's collection and aims.
Capable of building a good working relationship with Essex County Council Library staff.
Basic computer skills
- Suitable for under 18s
- DBS check required
- Training provided
Volunteers are given Health & Safety training Other training will be provided through the Society committee as the need arises.
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
- Equal opportunities policy
- Written role description
Access to the 1st floor Saffron Walden Town Library Reading Room is accessible (lift, level access). There are 3 steps with handrail up to the adjacent book store. There is a flight of stairs down to a further book store in the cellar. Parking (pay-and-display, some free - including disabled parking close to the library building) is avaliable in the centre of Saffron Walden.
- Volunteer induction
- Ongoing support
- Health and Safety Policy
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 22/11/2017
End Date: 22/11/2018
We would like you to attend whenever possible the Society's committee sessions on Wednesday afternoons and to attend and report to the Society committee meetings (4 times a year, Wednesday evenings 6pm-8pm in the Library Reading Room).
This opportunity is available in: Uttlesford
The Scout Association
St Helena Hospice
Essex Wildlife Trust - Colchester
Talking Newspapers for the Blind - Rayleigh, Rochford & Castle Point
Harlowsave Credit Union