The Volunteer Facilitator role involves facilitating a restorative intervention between a harmed person (the victim), and the person responsible for causing harm (the perpetrator), with the aim of giving the victim a voice, and both parties agreeing how amends can be made. These interventions can include face-to-face meetings, or indirect communication (such as letters) between a victim and offender or disputing neighbours.
Volunteers will be offered support and guidance throughout the process by a team in the PCC's office and partners from the wider team.
Evidence shows that RJ interventions, which give both victims and perpetrators the opportunity to discuss the offence and ask questions of each other, increases victim satisfaction and helps to reduce offending.
Volunteer Facilitators visit victims and offenders in their own homes, local towns or criminal justice organisations (probation offices and prisons). (Meeting places will be arranged by the volunteer and participants, but will range across the pilot sites of Thurrock, Epping, Brentwood and Harlow). It is hoped the scheme will cover the rest of Essex by October 2015.
• To understand and adopt the underpinning values and principles of Restorative Justice (see www.restorativejustice.org for more information)Good communication skills - written and oral
• Organisational skills
• Good people skills - working with and talking with a diverse range of people.
• Ability to explore and challenge your own beliefs about working with victims and offenders.
• Ability to reflect on the learning and challenges of the role
- Suitable for under 18s
- DBS check required
- Training provided
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
- Equal opportunities policy
- Written role description
- Volunteer induction
- Ongoing support
- Health and Safety Policy
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 01/01/2015
End Date: 15/03/2017
This opportunity is available Countywide.
The Salvation Army, Hadleigh Farm Estate
Alzheimers Society - Essex
Home-Start Essex - Uttlesford