- To provide one to one companionship and support to adults feeling isolated and lonely.
- To provide company, support and encouragement to people who would like to feel included in community services and activities.
- To be a caring listener for people who may not have others they feel comfortable talking to.
- Accompany people to groups, activities and events that they would not go to alone.
- Support people to feel confident using public transport.
- Visit people at home to offer company and friendship (if home visits are agreed with the Befriending Team)
- Try new activities with people wanting to broaden their experiences.
- Work towards the goal that is agreed with the person you are befriending.
- Give regular feedback to the Befriending Team on progress made towards the goals.
· Alert the Befriending Team immediately if there are any health, safety and wellbeing, or safeguarding concerns
Please note - due to current safeguarding measures, this role will involve providing support by telephone at the present time.
- · Patience
- · Empathy
- · Able to encourage without being forceful
- · Have good listening and communication skills
- · Be non-judgmental in approach
- · To manage appropriate boundaries in the befriending relationship
- Interpersonal skills
- Sensitivity to the needs of others
- Good spoken English is essential
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
MILEAGE, PUBLIC TRANSPORT FARE, REFRESHMENTS
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 21/11/2019
End Date: 21/11/2021
To suit the volunteer - this role can work alongside a full time job. Please note - due to current safeguarding measures, this role will involve providing support by telephone at the present time.
This opportunity is available in: Basildon, Billericay & Wickford, Castle Point, Rayleigh and Rochford
Cruse Bereavement Care
Citizens Advice Bureau - Maldon and District
Chelmsford Talking Newspaper