This is a fantastic opportunity to become involved with a local heritage centre which draws visitors from far and wide. The Heritage Centre is run by the Maeldune Trust in partnership with Maldon Town Council.
The Maeldune Trust is currently comprised of eight Trustees who are local people with a wide range of experience in business skills and community involvement. It is hoped that the new Treasurer would become a Trustee and attend board meetings together with a representative from Maldon Town Council and the Town Clerk. Meetings are held at least five times a year.
The Treasurer role supports the financial affairs of the charity and will include banking; book keeping; preparing monthly and year-end accounts; submissions to HMRC, Charities Commission; and annual insurance renewals.
The Treasurer's key responsibilities are:
- To provide a Bookkeeping and Accounts officer function to assist with a variety of financial tasks as part of the day-to-day running of the Maeldune Heritage Centre.
- To work from home using their own personal computer or laptop maintaining regular contact with the Trustees and reporting to the Chair of Trustees.
- To manage payments, receipts, expenses, other income, assets and liabilities
- To record and reconcile against the bank account, maintaining an online accounting system and records
Tasks to be carried out monthly using Quickbooks include:
- Reconcile sales and petty cash expenses and enter transactions
- Enter payments, direct debits and standing orders and draw cheques
- Enter all artist advance payments and income and enter artist sales summaries
- Receive payroll expenses, draw cheques and enter transactions
- Pay invoices to suppliers for stock
- Log onto CAF Bank, print monthly bank statement and reconcile
- Draw cheque and pay HMRC tax and NI quarterly.
- Prepare income and expenditure, balance sheet and previous year comparison reports and send to Trustees and others as required
- Finalise end of year closure on system and commence new financial year and manage Chart of Accounts.
- Manage the insurance portfolio
- Liaise with Maldon Town Council re rent and annual grant
- Provide information to Maldon District Council for business rate exemption application.
- Advise Trustees on minimum living wage and other PAYE matters.
- Manage World Pay contract.
- Manage CAF bank relationship and bank mandate.
- Liaise with Auditor arrange annual audit and Auditors Report.
- Submit Annual return to Commission (Accounts, Auditors Report, Chair’s Report)
- Maintain Trustees details on Charity Commission web site
The Centre Manager and two other staff are all employed by the Trust on a part time basis and with volunteers in support.
The Trust is supported by the Friends of the Maeldune Trust group.
The Treasurer and Accounts Officer should have experience in a similar role and a track record of appropriate skills:
- Excellent bookkeeping skills with experience of QuickBooks Online
- Experience of filing returns for small (or medium sized) charities (preferable)
- Self-motivated, able to work under own initiative with limited supervision
- Experience of handling legal matters (desirable)
- Basic/Intermediate Microsoft Office knowledge: Word, Excel, Email
- Able to work to deadlines
- Able to ensure data is kept safe and according to the Data Protection Act
- Ensure that personal computer is fully virus protected to ensure the safety of the Charities Financial position, records and personal information for artists, suppliers and staff
- Able to present Accounts to the Trustee Board and advise as appropriate.
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 19/11/2020
End Date: 19/11/2021
It is hoped that the new Treasurer would become a Trustee and attend board meetings together with a representative from Maldon Town Council and the Town Clerk. Meetings are held at least five times a year.
This opportunity can be carried out whilst working from home.
More Opportunities from Maeldune Heritage Trust
Rayleigh, Rochford and District Association for Voluntary Service (RRAVS)
The Friends of Cressing Temple
Museum of Power
Oxfam Store - Market Road Chelmsford