We need you to help young disabled people get stuck into different volunteering opportunities in their local community and work towards a qualification.
The groups will garden; get crafty; befriend older people and bake cakes for coffee mornings; get involved in a beach clean, and carry out accessibility audits just to name a few ideas!
Your role would be to support and encourage the group during these activities, and to be a positive role model. You won’t be providing personal care but you might be an arm to hold whilst crossing the road.
• Be patient and friendly.
• Be empathetic and understanding.
• Be reliable, flexible and organised.
• Have good communication skills.
Requirements of role:
• An interest in supporting disabled and disadvantaged people.
• To have experience of supporting disabled or disadvantaged people.
• To have an interest in supporting others.
• To work within Can Do’s guidelines.
• To provide 2 references.
• A Disclosure & Barring Service check (DBS – or PVG in Scotland) will be required.
- Suitable for under 18s
- DBS check required
- Training provided
- Volunteer policy
- Covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
- Equal opportunities policy
- Written role description
- Volunteer induction
- Ongoing support
- Health and safety support
When: 20/03/2018 - 24/03/2021
Volunteering activities will be around three hours. The programme coordinator will email volunteer support workers a plan of upcoming volunteer opportunities to check availability.
More Opportunities from Can Do
Braintree, Chelmsford, Maldon, Southend
Essex Youth Service - Maldon District
Essex Wildlife Trust - Colchester