t Clare Hospice is a local charity and each year we care for hundreds of people across West Essex and the East Hertfordshire border. We provide free, compassionate care and support to adults with life-limiting illnesses, their families and carers.
It costs over £4 million each year to provide our vital services (including clinical and support services) and with limited NHS funding, we need to fundraise for most of this. The St Clare Trading Company runs 8 charity shops and all of the profits are passed directly to St Clare Hospice. Our shops also raise awareness of St Clare Hospice and help to break down some of the myths that surround hospice care.
Our Loughton shop ‘271’ offers a mix of premium branded clothing, predominantly good quality menswear but also a selection of fashionable women’s shoes and boots. The shop is a treasure trove of pre-loved fashion, accessories and artefacts.
A salaried manager runs each shop but we could not operate without our dedicated teams of volunteers. By donating just a small amount of your time, you could help St Clare to continue being there for local families facing one of the most difficult journeys in life.
If you would like to build confidence working in a customer-facing role, want to gain retail experience for your CV, or want to learn new skills, then we would love to hear from you!
What you will be doing:
1. Providing great customer service
2. Serving customers at the till
3. Accepting donations and processing Gift Aid
4. Merchandising - promoting the sale of goods through their presentation
5. Keeping the shop clean and tidy
6. Any other duties requested by the shop manager / shift leader
The benefits you can expect:
• Gain experience of cash handling, using a till, taking card payments and issuing receipts.
• Gain hands-on experience of working within a retail environment.
• Develop confidence working within a customer-facing role.
• Develop new skills to add to your C.V.
• Spend your time doing something that is worthwhile and rewarding.
• Meet new people.
• Become part of a passionate team.
• Day to day support from a designated member of staff.
• Opportunities for progression if you wish to take on more responsibility.
• Help make a difference to local people living with a life-limiting illness.
• Travel expenses will be reimbursed when agreed in advance.
The support you will be given:
• You will be supervised and supported day-to-day by the shift leader.
• You will receive on-going guidance to learn all aspects of the role.
• You will have the opportunity for one-to-one catch-ups with the shop manager as and when required.
The skills / experience / personal qualities you will need:
• Polite and helpful at all times when interacting with customers.
• Good at working as part of a team: gets on well with others, happy to help and support other team members.
• Also able to work independently when the role requires.
• Adaptable to change – willing to help with whatever needs doing in the best interests of the shop.
• Willing to learn and follow guidance / processes.
• Will take the initiative and find things that need doing during quieter periods.
• Hard working.
• No prior
retail experience is required.
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
St Clare have charity shops in Harlow, Bishops Stortford,Great Dunmow, Saffron Walden, Loughton, Epping, Debden and Buskhurst Hill.
This opportunity is available in: Epping, Harlow, Uttlesford
More Opportunities from St Clare Hospice
Essex County Council Youth Service-Epping Forest
British Red Cross
Bar 'n' Bus Trust
Barnardos Store - Saffron Walden
Oxfam Store - Saffron Walden