A Great Volunteering Opportunity! – Helping the Homeless - Severe Weather Emergency Provision Volunteers (Colchester - adhoc basis)
It is getting very cold outside and there are people sleeping on the streets of Colchester who need your help! Would you like to volunteer in helping rough sleepers and potentially save lives? Then please read on as we have an exciting volunteering role that you could be a part of!
During severe weather the homeless are at greater risk of harm. Bearing in mind that many rough sleepers have health issues, being out in the freezing cold often makes these worse. The Severe Weather Emergency Provision (a place where the homeless can stay during extreme cold nights) will be opening from 20:30 – 08:00. This is a reactive service determined by weather forecasts and temperature changes, and as such we are seeking to recruit volunteers who are extremely flexible who can work as part of a team to cover a few hours (or more) to help support the SWEP.
What will I be doing?
· Assist daily with the setup an set down of the provision in the designated SWEP facility alongside the Outreach team.
· To welcome clients to the building, complete a basic registration form and help to settle them for the evening.
· To work closely with project workers and other volunteers
· To assist in the serving of food, cleaning and set-up of service
· Have an awareness of the causes of homelessness and its impact - we particularly welcome applications from people living locally or working within the local community
· Able to relate to a wide range of people, for example those who have experienced issues with drink, drugs and/or mental health or those with challenging behaviour
· Are committed, patient and reliable
· Have good communication skills
· Able to cope with clients who display challenging behaviour
· Believe in the potential of others and are supportive of improving their quality of life
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
Must be sensible and mature
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 13/12/2018
End Date: 13/12/2019
This opportunity has no specific location.
SAVS - SEAT Project
Voluntary Action Epping Forest
New Life Wood
OACS - Open Adult Counselling Service