Since 2003, Haven House Children's Hospice has provided specialist care for over 600 children and young people (birth-19) who have life-limiting and life-threatening conditions.
Across North and North East London, West Essex and East Hertfordshire we provide a range of services to families to support them through the most difficult circumstances imaginable. These include planned respite, short break and end-of-life care, as well as services designed to improve emotional and physical wellbeing, across The White House, our Holistic Care Centre and in our local community.
Working in partnership, we deliver these services whenever and wherever our families need them.
Our retail shop plays a vital role in raising funds and awareness for our cause. As a shop volunteer you are among the most visible faces of the charity and contribute hugely to how the public perceive us and the work we do.
The purpose of the role is to assist in the day to day running of our charity shop(s) to maximise sales and profitability.
Main Activities/ Tasks:
• To greet, assist and serve customers, providing a service of the highest standard, as well as being polite and courteous.
• To assist with processing stock, including sorting, steaming, pricing, hanging of donated items and the effective display of items presented for sale.
• To be involved with the till operation and the handling of cash (although this is not a necessary requirement.
• Help keep the shop looking clean and tidy.
• Dust the bric a brac and clean the shelves.
• To promote and apply Haven House's Health and Safety Policy
The following skills would be beneficial:
• Good communication and customer care service skills are essential to fulfil this role.
• Being able to work as part of a team environment and with the general public is essential.
• Being flexible
This is a great opportunity to gain and develop your experience in the competitive retail sector and make new friends.
Haven House is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all volunteers to share this commitment.
All volunteers have a duty for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults. Volunteers should be aware of the Haven House procedure for raising concerns about the welfare of anyone with whom they have contact.
Volunteers will be required to attend the appropriate level of safeguarding training, depending on their role.
Address:192 High Road, Loughton, Essex IG10 1DN or 179 High St, Epping CM16 4BL or
36 Station Road,Chingford ,E4 7BE or 52 South Street, Romford,Essex,RM1 1RB
Slightly restricted due to shop layout
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Travel expenses up to £5 but if this causes a difficulty please let us know.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
We can have volunteers aged 16 and upwards for this role.
- Training provided
Yes by a member of the retail team staff
- Volunteer induction
A general hospice induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 16/08/2017
End Date: 16/08/2019
The shop is open Monday - Saturday 9 am - 5 pm. We ask for a minimum of one shift per week and this is usually 4 hours. Volunteers can either do a morning or afternoon shift. We are able to be flexible around timings for volunteers.
This opportunity is available in: Brentwood, Epping
More Opportunities from Haven House Childrens Hospice
Dogs Trust - Saffron Walden
Stroke Club - Mid Essex