There are various tasks and responsibilities within the Railway Team, requiring different skills and commitments. The team members need to work together to ensure the passengers enjoy their visit safely. We need volunteers to welcome and assist visitors, operate the trains and to assist with the 'behind the scenes' work of maintaining the rolling stock and track.
The plan is to start offering rides during the summer season from Easter (weekdays in the school holidays and weekends) so we require people to be signed up and trained ready for this.
As guided by the Railway Leadership Team and dependant on the time/tasks offered -
• Steward-Welcome visitors and assist them on and off the carriages.
• Driver-Complete the training and pass an assessment to then drive passengers.
• Train/Station Guard-Ensure the safety and comfort of the passengers on the platform and carriages
• Maintenance-To take an active role in preparing and caring for rolling stock and line.
• Duty Officer-To oversee all the operations during any specific day of running.
• All team members are to provide information where they can and welcome visitors.
• All team members are required to complete their share of helping to set up and shut down.
• Everyone must ensure that all work is carried out in accordance with the Company's Health and Safety Policy and other relevant policies especially the Railway Handbook.
If you bring existing skills beyond those outlined above, your role may be developed to a suitable level.
Ideally we seek someone:
• With the ability and willingness to understand and follow the rules/procedures to enable the visitors to enjoy their experience in safety and comfort.
• Who is able to work with a wide range of the public in a calm, helpful and friendly manner.
• Confident in communicating with the team and visitors.
• Who has a positive attitude and will work cooperatively in a team environment.
• Who will be able to keep to time allocations for the running of the passenger service.
• Keen to work out doors.
• Reliable, e.g. informing the relevant railway representative or RGM staff ASAP, if not able to attend on any pre-agreed days/times.
If you are unsure of any of the above please feel free to phone and have a chat.
Royal Gunpowder Mills, Beaulieu Dr, Waltham Abbey EN9 1JX
- Suitable for under 18s
- DBS check required
- Training provided
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
As agreed and arranged in advance
- Equal opportunities policy
- Written role description
- Volunteer induction
- Ongoing support
- Health and Safety Policy
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 01/03/2017
End Date: 30/09/2019
Ideally you would be willing to volunteer during the day 9am-5pm. We will arrange a rota on the days we operate the passenger service and we will ask volunteers to offer their time any days they can during these times.There will also be other days for be
This opportunity is available in: Basildon Billericay and Wickford, Braintree, Brentwood, Castle Point, Chelmsford, Colchester, Epping, Harlow, Maldon, Rayleigh and Rochford, Southend, Tendring, Thurrock, Uttlesford
More Opportunities from Royal Gunpowder Mills
1st Beacon Hill Scout Group
Dig4Jaywick Community Garden
University of Cambridge Museums