Why we need you
During afternoons of diagnostic assessments, parents/carers are given feedback and a possible diagnosis of child/young person. Whilst our clinicians spend time with the parents/carers the child/young person (CYP) is left alone to play – we need to make sure that the child/young person is happy and safe.
This is an important role, as well as spending time talking and/ or playing with a CYP, parents will be relaxed knowing that their CYP is being looked after during this time.
What you will be doing
• Ensuring CYP is safe and content whilst parents are with Clinicians.
• Working with CYP, this could be from watching DVDs, playing in the garden, interacting with games, technology or just being there to talk with them.
• During these sessions you will be with the CYP on your own, but doors are kept open and other team members are available
• You will be briefed on each diagnostic assessment of the person you will be with any specific details about them that you need to be aware off.
• If clinic not scheduled, optional
alternative tasks are also available assisting with general duties.
Experience of working or volunteering with CYP on the autism spectrum or with behavioural difficulties would be desirable
• Be able to adapt to changing situations while working with CYP. Sometimes situations need calming if a person is upset or over excited or empathy is needed if they are upset or anxious
• Happy to go along with CYP needs from playing games to wanting to talk to you about their special interests or general conversations
Location: The National Autistic Society - Enterprise Campus, Luxborough Lane, Chigwell, Essex, IG7 5AB
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 11/04/2019
End Date: 11/04/2020
Monday – Thursday from 1.30 pm - 4pm A weekly commitment is desired. You can volunteer on more that one afternoon if that suits your schedule.
This opportunity is available in: Epping
Futures in Mind
Epping Forest District Council
Healthy Living Healthy Lives CIC
Castle Point Association of Voluntary Services (CAVS)