This opportunity is available through Witham Library.
Essex Libraries provide a mobile library service to more than 200 communities across the county. The service is valued by many residents in remote locations who would otherwise have limited access to library and council services.
There are occasions when our mobile library drivers have to learn and drive new routes. As a mobile library support volunteer, you will assist the mobile library supervisor by reading from a set of route notes to ensure the correct route is taken; and make accurate amendments to the routes for future reference
What will it involve?
• Accurately reading and interpreting a set of route notes you will be provided with. It is important that the notes provided are followed to ensure compliance with road conditions, for example not entering weight restricted areas • Communicating these route notes clearly and accurately to the driver whilst out on the route • Keeping a record of any mistakes or alterations required that can be made to the typed notes at a later date • Ability to follow a map and react in the event of an unexpected event such as a road closure on the route • Maintaining a friendly and welcoming manner with customers using the mobile library • The mobile library vehicles are based at Witham Library, so in most cases you will need to meet the vehicle there at the start of the day.
• Good verbal communication skills
• Ability to read from a set of directions or map
• A good knowledge of Essex would be an advantage.
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 02/07/2018
End Date: 02/07/2019
The role would only be required at times when new routes are being implemented or when new drivers are recruited. Therefore time required is likely to be for several intense periods of a few weeks each year, as route reviews take place approximately every 6 months. The length of days on the route varies, with some half days and some long days. It is expected that volunteers would need to commit to doing the whole route on a particular day. The mobile library service operates daily Monday to Saturday except for bank holidays and over the Christmas period.
This opportunity is available in: Braintree
More Opportunities from Essex Libraries
Braintree District Mencap Society & Gateway Club
All Ability Sports and Leisure
Southend - SOS Domestic Abuse Projects - Dove or Fledglings
Age UK - Essex