Rethink Mental Illness Essex deliver All Age Advocacy Services across Essex.
As a volunteer Advocate you will work to defend people’s rights and interests and support their wishes to be heard; for them to be treated with dignity and have their views respected.
Our advocacy services are governed by principles based on independence, empowerment, confidentiality, inclusion and free access. All advocates only act on their clients’ instruction
You will be part of the whole Advocacy team, and in your role you may be helping individuals and/or groups to get their voice heard on issues concerning their wellbeing, care and treatment.
As a Volunteer Advocate you could support someone to
- Find information so they can make choices and sort out problems,
- Understand their rights and make sure they are respected,
- Make a complaint if they are not happy about something,
- Listen to their views and build trust and a confidential relationship (using our Advocacy Plan and tools)
- Identify the partner’s or Self Advocacy group members’ choices and decisions, but not make or influence them,
· Good Communication skills
· Good listening skills
· Ability to empathise
· Motivation to secure the rights of clients and service users
· Able to Comply with all relevant Rethink policies, procedures and processes
· Be comfortable to ask for help and support when needed
· Willing to commit to further training and development
· Working with, or having knowledge or personal experience of mental health issues, is an advantage but not essential
· Having basic skills and working knowledge of IT (ie word and using emails)
· Please note that Volunteer Advocates will, as part of their training, be required to travel to identified locations in Essex where advocacy services are delivered to shadow experienced Advocates
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 10/12/2018
End Date: 11/12/2020
This opportunity is available Countywide.
More Opportunities from Rethink Mental Health Essex All Age Advocacy Service
Citizens Advice Bureau - Chelmsford
Maldon and Burnham Talking Newspaper
Witham Carnival Association
Contact the Elderly