To provide one to one attention to customers in libraries across Thurrock (Aveley, Belhus, Blackshots, Chadwell, Corringham, East Tilbury, Grays, Stanford and Tilbury) who need support in accessing online sources and using digital technology such as tablets, laptops and computers.
Tasks and responsibilities
To inspire and support customers (on an individual basis) to gain basic computer and online skills such as word processing, printing and using the internet.
To promote access to online information, including library resources.
To recommend and direct customers to trusted/recognised online services and websites.
To refer or signpost to other providers and library staff where appropriate.
To support customers in their next steps in becoming confident computer and internet users.
To be available to attend library training sessions throughout the year, helping to keep your own skills up to date and relevant.
To remain impartial and maintain confidentiality when communicating with customers.
To ensure that reasonable care is taken at all times for the health, safety and welfare of you as an individual as well as customers.
To support and contribute to other library IT initiatives if the demand arises.
Skills and experience
• Have the confidence and basic knowledge to be able to show library customers how to use computers for things such as word processing, internet searching and sending emails.
• To be responsive and attentive to customer's different requirements within any one session.
• To be able to communicate clearly, keeping information simple and easy to understand.
• To have a positive, inspiring and enthusiastic manner when engaging with customers and staff.
• Able to engage with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 02/03/2015
End Date: 04/01/2020
This opportunity is available Countywide.
More Opportunities from Thurrock Council
Safe Haven & Respite Environment
QVSR Tilbury Seafarers Centre
Peer Mentor Volunteer, to give one to one support to a person going through their own journey of recovery