Home-Visiting Volunteers are expected to:
• Commit to supporting the family through weekly visits of 2-3 hours for a period of 6
• Develop a relationship of trust with parents over time which will enable open and
trusting conversations and enable you to work alongside them.
• Be non-judgemental; ask open questions and enable parents to explore, reflect and
make their own decisions. Be supportive of their choices.
• Listen and understand the whole situation, avoid jumping to conclusions and
encourage the family to come up with their own solution.
• Respect parents’ choices when managing their children, encourage positive parenting
• Empower people to make their own decisions and find their own solutions by
supplying information, ensuring the information you provide is accurate
Anyone wishing to volunteer with Home-Start Essex must complete the relevant Preparation Course.The course of Preparation is friendly and informal and is usually run over 8 sessions of 2.5hrs via zoom (with a 10-minute break), there is also a small element of self-learning. These are delivered once a week and term time only.
The aim of the course is to build on the skills you already have. You do not need any formal qualifications to do this course, however for our Family Support roles you must be a parent or have appropriate parenting experience.
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
Staff are available for support via telephone or at the office. Volunteers have support group meetings where they and other volunteers meet with one of the co-ordinators. These take place every 6 weeks. Volunteers also meet with the co-ordinators individually. Also we offer further training and there are opportunities to meet socially.
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 08/11/2017
End Date: 13/11/2020
This opportunity is available in: Uttlesford
Home-Start Essex (Maldon District)
Bar 'n' Bus Trust
Samaritans - Herts and Essex Branch
St Lukes Hospice - Basildon
Age Concern Bishop's Stortford - The New Apton Centre