In March 2019, volunteers are needed at these libraries:
Chelmsford, Clacton, Coggeshall, Kelvedon, Maldon, Rochford, Saffron Walden
What is the role about?
To visit customers in their own homes, sheltered housing or in care homes who are unable to get to their local library and enable them to continue to enjoy library services and reading.
What will it involve?
• visiting customers once a month, alone or with another volunteer, delivering a selection of books, audio books, DVDs and information
• selecting books and other library materials for customers
• promoting choice by sharing information on books and discussing reading choices
• sharing information on other relevant services in the community
• where appropriate acting as a link for care home residents and staff to the library and the community and supporting activities and interests at care homes.
What will you get from volunteering?
• satisfaction of sharing your reading enthusiasm with others
• opportunity to help people who are isolated, support them to live at home and keep them in touch with their local community
• meeting people and making new friends
• satisfaction of using your skills and experience to give something to the community
• an interest in people
• enthusiasm for books and reading
• good communication and people skills
• able to work on own initiative
• ability to carry moderate amounts of books and other library materials
• a practical and patient nature
• access to a car and a full driving licence desirable though there are opportunities for volunteers to get involved and accompany another volunteer who drives
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
Volunteers can claim mileage payments
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
There will be ongoing support from local library staff. All volunteers are engaged for an introductory period (usually 1 to 3 months depending on the frequency of volunteering). This is to ensure the volunteer and activity are properly matched and either side may decide to end the agreement at this stage.
- Suitable for under 18s
Over 18s only
- Training provided
Specific training for your volunteering role. This may be shadowing or an occasional training session or just talking through what's involved.
- Volunteer induction
You will receive induction and a welcome pack
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 31/08/2016
End Date: 05/12/2019
How much time would you be asked to contribute? Typically a morning or afternoon per month.
This opportunity is available Countywide.
More Opportunities from Essex Libraries
Freshwaters Contact Centre
Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome