This opportunity is available in the following libraries:
Braintree, Galleywood, Laindon, South Woodham Ferrers, Witham and Wivenhoe
What is the role about?
To phone and have a chat with Home Library Service customers in their own homes, sheltered housing or in care homes to help prevent feelings of loneliness and isolation and, where appropriate, chat about books and reading.
Please email Libraryvolunteer@essex.gov.uk, or contact your local library.
What will it involve?
- Phoning customers, at a frequency agreed by them, for a chat to prevent social isolation
- If customers want to, volunteers may do a reading from a book, magazine, newspaper, or poem, or look something up for them on the internet
- if appropriate flagging up t othe library contact any need that the customer may express (so we can either signpost to other organisations that help or refer to the customer)
What will you get from volunteering?
- opportunity to help people who are isolated, support them to live at home and keep them in touch with their local community
- satisfaction of using your skills and experience to give something to the community
- an interest in people
- empathy, ease of chatting on phone
- good communication and people skills
- love of books and reading and ability to read out loud is not necessary but would be a bonus
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
There will be ongoing support from local library staff.
- Suitable for under 18s
Over 18s only
- Training provided
You will complete a short online training course to prepare you for this volunteering role.
- Volunteer induction
All volunteers are engaged for an introductory period (usually 1 to 3 months depending on the frequency of volunteering). This is to ensure the volunteer and activity are properly matched and either side may decide to end the agreement at this stage.
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 12/10/2020
End Date: 12/10/2021
On average 3 (ideally minimum 5hrs per week) volunteers per library This will be an as and when required role.
This opportunity is available in: Basildon, Billericay & Wickford, Braintree, Chelmsford
More Opportunities from Essex Libraries
B.E.A.R.S. Basic Essex Accident Rescue Service
Home-Start Essex-Epping Forest Area
Integration Support Service
Maybury Open Door (MRCT)