This is a fantastic opportunity to become involved with a local heritage centre which draws visitors from far and wide. The Heritage Centre is run by the Maeldune Trust in partnership with Maldon Town Council and admission is free.
The Centre is home to the Maldon Embroidery, (a 42' long masterpiece which was created to celebrate 1000 years of Maldon's history) as well as an art gallery, a gift shop selling souvenirs and art and craft items made by local artists and has many fascinating items on display collected from local archaeological digs.
As a Heritage Centre volunteer you would be responsible for the running of the Maeldune Centre during opening hours. This includes:
- welfare of visitors
- promotion of the Centre as a resource for local people and visitors to Maldon
- sales of art work and souvenirs and
- financial transactions whilst on duty
The Heritage Centre volunteer role includes the following duties but volunteers can contribute where needed and within their own skill set :
1) Opening the Centre
Ensure that the Centre opens on time (start time as published) and that everything is in place for the start of day, including:
- checking of the float and placement into the till
- turning on all lights and heaters if appropriate, putting music on, turning on the Maldon Society display, topping up stock displays if required, putting open signs out.
- ensuring the Centre is clean and tidy to receive visitors
2) Looking after Visitors
- to greet each customer as they enter the Centre and engage with customers for the duration of their stay
- to be friendly and informative should they require information without losing focus on the shop and other visitors
- to chat to visitors about current and future exhibitions, crafts displays, the embroidery and or Maldon in general To ensure all sales are made promptly and wrapped accordingly
- to continue to keep up to speed on matters pertaining to the history of Maldon and to ensure that consistent information is imparted to visitors
3) Ensuring the Centre is maintained to a very high standard
- ensure all shelves and displays are topped up
- carry out dusting of displays, the embroidery case and shelves and sweep the floor
- ensure front entrance is swept and kept tidy
- remove and dispose of all rubbish.
- report any accidents promptly and ensure any maintenance tasks requiring attention are reported
4) Sales and Financial Transactions
- to enter all sales in the sales book, using the appropriate code to assist with stock control
- to process sales quickly and efficiently and to ensure that the money tallies between till and book
- at the end of the day, to cash up (in line with the cash handling procedures) and to make sure that the money and float tally
- to place all money in the safe
The Maeldune Centre is conveniently located on Maldon High Street.
A Volunteer Open Day is being held on Monday 14th September 2020 from 2 pm to 3.30 pm. An overview of general duties and training for the Craft Shop and Exhibition Hall will be provided as well as a talk about the Maldon Embroidery. You can book a place by registering your interest in this volunteering role.
• Volunteers should have good people skills and enjoy working with the public
• Basic numeracy skills
• Local knowledge of Maldon District past and present (training can be provided)
• An interest in history
The Heritage Centre endeavours to ensure volunteers receive training where required to provide a rewarding and satisfying experience.
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 25/06/2020
End Date: 24/06/2021
The Heritage Centre is open every day from 11 am to 4 pm except Sundays and Mondays and shifts can be split am or pm. Any time given to volunteer is greatly appreciated. Maeldune Heritage Centre is closed during the whole month of January.
This opportunity is available in: Maldon
Roman River Music
QVSR Tilbury Seafarers Centre
Ideas Hub Chelmsford
Museum of Power