To help beginners understand how to go about researching their family history online using Library resources.
What will it involve?
- Sharing with groups of customers your knowledge and experience of using online sources of information.
- Helping customers to understand the range of information available on a variety of online family history resources.
- Demonstrating search techniques that can be used to find information on these resources
- Promoting other online sources available to library members, and how they provide information for family history researchers.
- Explaining the role of the Essex Record Office and the Essex Society for Family History in providing information about Essex ancestors
- Drawing attention to equivalent organisations in other parts of the country.
What will you get from volunteering?
- Satisfaction of sharing your enthusiasm for family history with others
- Help people to increase their social networks by making contact with relative and family history groups.
- Satisfaction of using your skills and experience to give something to the community.
- Experience of online family history research and enthusiasm for the subject
- Information technology skills
- Good communication and people skills
- Ongoing support
There will be ongoing support from local library staff. All volunteers are engaged for an introductory period (usually 1 to 3 months depending on the frequency of volunteering). This is to ensure the volunteer and activity are properly mated and either side may decoded to end the agreement at this stage.
- Training provided
Specific training for your volunteering role, this may be shadowing or an occasional training session or just talking through what's involved.
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 03/04/2019
End Date: 03/04/2020
Typically a morning or afternoon session per month.
132-134 High Street
More Opportunities from Rayleigh Library
Royal Gunpowder Mills
Gardens Of Easton Lodge
Essex Wildlife Trust - Great Wigborough
Home-Start Essex - Uttlesford
Hospital Radio Chelmsford