This opportunity is available in the following libraries:
What is the role about?
You will be part of a team of volunteers in the Library, welcoming customers, supporting them to use the library, and enabling them to make full use of the library services available
There are 74 libraries in Essex which vary in size and location. All of the libraries are focal points for their communities and offer a range of services. They are managed and supported by library staff.
What will it involve?
• supporting customers to borrow and return books on the self-service units
• shelving and helping with book stock and requests
• opening and closing the library
• providing basic IT support on the public computers
• using library IT systems
• assisting customers to join the library
• helping people to find books and answer basic enquiries, referring to library and
• ECC staff as appropriate
• supporting children and young people to take part in the Summer Reading
• assisting with promoting the library and with display work
• helping with statistics and other general administrative duties
What skills and experience do you need?
• good communication and people skills, and ability to relate to all ages
• an enthusiasm for libraries and awareness of the range of services offered
• information technology skills, particularly using the internet
• ability to act on own initiative
The minimum age for this role is 18 years.
What will you get from volunteering?
• opportunity to meet people and get involved in your local community
• chance to develop your experience and skills to enhance your CV
• the satisfaction of using your skills and experience to give something to the community
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment and for some libraries on a shared site a DBS check might be required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
The Essex Libraries website states travel expenses are covered
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
Over 18s only
- Training provided
You will receive induction, a welcome pack and specific training for your volunteering role. This may be shadowing or an occasional training session or just talking through what’s involved. There will be ongoing support from local library staff who will ensure you are kept up-to-date with all that is happening in Essex Libraries. All volunteers are engaged for an introductory period (usually 1 to 3 months depending on the frequency of volunteering). This is to ensure the volunteer and activity are properly matched and either side may decide to end the agreement at this stage.
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 23/07/2015
End Date: 26/10/2021
How much time would you be asked to contribute? A regular commitment is required, usually at least 2 hours per fortnight, but there is flexibility as long as you are willing to make a regular contribution. Saturday mornings 10 – 1 pm – 3 hrs Tuesday mornings 10 – 1 or 2pm
This opportunity is available in: Chelmsford
More Opportunities from Essex Libraries
Castle Point Association of Voluntary Services (CAVS)
The Salvation Army, Hadleigh Farm Estate
Medical Detection Dogs
Essex County Scouts