Key responsibilities include:
• To supervise, instruct, encourage and interact with children and parents as they participate in play
• Consider age, gender, physical abilities and cultural needs of children and parents when preparing and running activities
• Collect appropriate equipment for your activities from the Play Cupboard/Dove Centre
• Help maintain a clean and safe environment in which children can play
• Tidy equipment away after each session and return items to the Play Cupboard
• Check and maintain play equipment in the communal areas
• Ensure the play cupboard in the Refuge is clean, tidy and stocked with an appropriate variety of toys and activities
• Alert supervisory staff to areas of concern
• Welcome any child/parent to the play area
• Keep all information given or discussed within the play sessions confidential*
• Attend relevant training sessions provided
• Demonstrate SOS Domestic Abuse Projects in actions and behaviours
• Have the opportunity to develop new and existing skills.
• Gain experience of working in a charity.
• Have the opportunity to meet new people.
• Have the satisfaction of knowing you are making a vital difference to the work of SOSDAP.
• Experience of arranging/running play activities with children and young people
• Listening skills
• Caring and tactful
• Emotionally mature
• Reliable and trustworthy
• Understanding of, or ability to learn, personal and professional boundaries
• Understand that this is to be a 'low profile' experience and not to be discussed on social media
- Suitable for under 18s
- DBS check required
- Training provided
Ongoing support from a named member of staff. Additional training as required for your role. A written reference upon the completion of 50 hours of volunteering.
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Expenses reimbursed
Travel to and from place of activity will be reimbursed. Reimbursement of equipment purchases with prior consent.
- Equal opportunities policy
- Written role description
- Volunteer induction
- Ongoing support
- Health and Safety Policy
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 22/01/2018
End Date: 31/03/2019
One/two two-hour sessions per week. Hours Monday to Friday 10am - 5pm
This opportunity is available in: Basildon Billericay and Wickford, Castle Point, Rayleigh and Rochford
More Opportunities from Southend - SOS Domestic Abuse Projects - Dove or Fledglings
Frinton in Bloom
Acorns Community hub
SAVS - SEAT Project
Maybury Open Door (MRCT)