St Clare’s Day Therapy groups are for adults who are living with a life-limiting illness. This includes conditions such as respiratory disease, heart disease, Parkinson’s, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis and end stage dementia – as well as cancer.
Café Clare runs every Friday morning 9:30am-12pm at St Clare Hospice. It’s a group for patients who have completed a Day Therapy group, or been a patient of another St Clare service, and who want to gain some support from their peers on an informal basis. Our Café Clare group offers patients the chance to meet others socially, in a relaxed and friendly environment, for coffee and cake.
Volunteers help facilitate the group by meeting and greeting, making drinks, and helping people settle in and make connections with peers.
What you will be doing:
• Help get the venue and arrangements for the café set up – positioning chairs, preparing refreshments, making the setting welcoming etc.
• Welcoming people as they arrive.
• Identify those who haven’t been to a café before and assist them to settle in – making introductions and offering a helping hand to begin with. Being sure to withdraw yourself when it feels right to allow peer support to take over and blossom.
• Offer and make drinks, clear cups etc.
• Support people to join in where they need some help but always encouraging patients to do as much as they are able to themselves.
• When everyone has left put the room back to how it was before
the café started.
The volunteers helping this group are ‘welcomers’ - ensuring that people aren’t sitting on their own and helping to introduce people to each other, as well as making all important cups of tea!
The essential skills and personal qualities required will include:
• A warm smile.
• Having excellent communication and listening skills.
• Ability to effectively facilitate groups – creating a supportive environment in which everyone feels welcome.
• Friendly and approachable.
• Good at making drinks.
• Flexible in approach.
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Ongoing support
- Suitable for under 18s
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Café Clare runs every Friday morning 9:30am-12pm In order to set up before, and clear away afterwards, your role will need you to be at the hospice from 9am – 12:30pm.
More Opportunities from St Clare Hospice
St Lukes Hospice - Basildon
Ideas Hub Chelmsford
Essex Wildlife Trust - Brookes Nature Reserve at Sisted near Braintree
Girls Empowerment Initiative UK CIC