Support people living with dementia and their family caregivers on one of our residential dementia holidays in the UK, or help them gain their confidence during a supported day out. As an Adventure Supporter you would assist and support one or two people living with dementia and their carer(s) to ensure it’s beneficial to their wellbeing. You’ll be:
- Meeting the Adventure Leader at the holiday location.
- Working together to support all the activities planned in the itinerary such as trips, walks and tours, and ensure we tailor them to the specific needs of the guests.
- Providing an extra pair of hands, supporting both partners with as little or as much assistance as they require with tasks such as unpacking/packing, support at meal times, support during activities (there is no expectation to provide personal care).
- Offering physical support and guidance within the current COVID restrictions adhering to social distancing requirements.
- Ensuring guests are appropriately dressed for the weather.
- Working together to support mealtimes. This may include cooking meals, preparing packed lunches and assisting a guest to eat while their companion enjoys their meal.
- If needed, taking a person living with dementia through a photo album, listening to some music, reading sections of a book and so on. This could offer their carer a break for an hour or two or may be required to divert their attention if they’re feeling restless/anxious/tired during the day.
- Assisting the Adventure Leader in encouraging the guests to participate in the holidays as much as possible, encouraging them to get ready, to eat and drink and to go to bed at night.
- Using your training to take every opportunity to use all the senses to provide an uplifting and lasting experience.
- Participating in a daily report by recording any comments and important things to note.
- Taking photos and/or videos on behalf of Dementia Adventure and sharing them.
- Administering first aid (training provided), should the need arise.
- Completing a feedback form and attending a debriefing after the holiday.
How much time will I have to commit?
We ask for a willingness to support us for the duration of one of our 4 or 5 day holidays or short-breaks a year. You’ll get plenty of notice about upcoming dates. We also require some of your time before the holiday to prepare and after the holiday to debrief on events, this will be over the phone or by zoom.
What are the personal benefits?
- A chance to use existing skills and learn new ones related to dementia support.
- Hope and fulfillment as you realise you are making a significant difference to the life of a person living with dementia, adding to the growing bank of evidence that Dementia Adventure’s work is beneficial.
- The opportunity to spend time outdoors in stimulating environments.
- Access to the Dementia Adventure volunteer training resources.
-Regular support and supervision.
- Out of pocket expenses.
- Certificate of Volunteering on request.
What else do I need to know?
Volunteers are required to:
- Undertake training provided by Dementia Adventure, including Safeguarding Adults with Dementia and Basic Life Support (First Aid).
- Work alongside other volunteers and team members.
- Maintain dependable and regular communication.
- Wear a Dementia Adventure T shirt or fleece whilst attending face-to-face activity to ensure that they are easily recognisable as a volunteer.
- Undertake an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
- Adhere to Dementia Adventure’s policies and procedures.
- Sensitive to and understanding of people living with dementia.
- Enthusiastic about walking and activity outdoors.
- Friendly, thoughtful and person-centred.
- Adaptable and reliable.
- Good communication skills.
- Good organisational skills, well prepared.
- Confident and able to work as part of a team.
- Able to make adventures interesting and beneficial.
- Able to encourage and motivate others.
- Able to travel to local outdoor spaces.
- Willing to learn and receive feedback.
- Confident in using technology to participate in video calls.
- Data Protection policy
- DBS check required
- Equal opportunities policy
- Expenses reimbursed
- Health and Safety Policy
- Suitable for under 18s
Enhanced DBS check required
- Training provided
- Volunteer induction
- Volunteer policy
- Volunteers covered by insurance
- Written role description
When can I volunteer?
Start Date: 12/10/2021
End Date: 12/10/2022
The holidays are various locations around the UK as featured in our Monday-Friday holiday programme or where guests choose to visit if they are on a tailored holiday. We will expect you to travel to the holiday location. You can claim for any reasonable out-of-pocket expenses.
This opportunity has no specific location.
More Opportunities from Dementia Adventure